Monday, January 6, 2014

Surprised and Proud

According to a friend's facebook post, were were "colder than Barlow Alaska" this morning. Our overnight low temp was about 9 below with wind chills pushing 30 below. Not normal for west-central Missouri. Although the dog house is extremely sheltered, and full of straw, we still thought it best to bring the dogs in last night.

We decided the bathroom was probably the best place, so we set about dog-proofing. We removed the dirty clothes basket, the trash, the toilet paper, the shower curtain, and all reachable towels and wash rags. We took in food, water, toys and two blankets.

"You aren't expecting to get those blankets back, are you?" Ed asked me. No, I wasn't. Thats why I chose those blankets.

Finally, it was time to bring them in. You will remember the dogs get bathed in the shower, which is in the bathroom...

Finally, after some pushing, pulling, blocking, and tackling, we got them both shut in the bathroom. It was quiet. Probably twenty minutes later, Katherine says those dreaded words: "Mom, I have to go to the bathroom." Well, it was bound to happen, it was just a matter of when and whom. "Ok," I said, "let's go."
We unhooked the door and Katherine slipped through, toilet paper in hand, and I shut the door behind her. There were a few shrieks, and the sound of the dogs wrestling between themselves, but she was back out in a minute.

I let them out to go relieve themselves before I went to bed, and getting them back in was a little easier. Ed did the same when he got up for work, and I again when I got up this morning.  Of course, I was expected a very messy bathroom. Was I surprised!

The blankets were still intact, and there was no sign of any pee or poop anywhere in the bathroom! Meeko did decide to mark the bathroom trash on his way through once, but that was all it was; a mark. He can pee gallons when he wants to!

We've let them in and out a few times today, and plan on bringing them back in overnight tonight, but with a lot less stress. Still not brave enough to put everything back in there though.

No comments:

Post a Comment