Sunday, January 3, 2010

She's no more purebred Lab than I am

Thats just what I thought when I first saw her a little over two years ago. My sister had called and told me her boyfriend's friend had a four month old pure bred lab female that really needed a new home. We had lost our Lab, Sarge, a few months before, so I wanted to talk it over with the kids first. Although they had both been devastated at the loss of Sarge, Sixteen year old Kyle and 7 year old Katherine both
immediately jumped at the idea of a new puppy. Big hearts, my kids.
When my sister's boyfriend brought her over the next day, and this black tangle of legs tail and tongue that they called Libby Lou, accosted me on my front porch, I thought to myself what I have already said. She's no more lab than I am. Yes, she's black and she's going to be good sized, but no way she's lab with that head. To be honest, the shape of her head and her ears suggested Jack Russell Terrier to me, but I couldn't quite grasp how that could happen. I still don't, but I'm convinced that some how it did. Libby is no prue bred Lab. The veternarian agrees, but can't quite put his finger on what she might be either. I describe her as a Jack Russell in a Lab body. Think all that energy in a big dog. Yeah, my life has never been the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment